Tuesday, March 29

Feelin' funky

And I don't mean the shake-what-your-momma-gave-you, get-up-off-of-that-floor, Stevie-Wonder-in-his-"Superstition"-days kind of funky. I'm talking funk-y, like a girl who is in a funk. Don't you ever just have those days when you wake up feeling mildly perturbed without even knowing why you feel that way? It's a real productivity buster. Knitting is sometimes the kind of thing that helps to bust me out of such funk-y states of being (and if I'm lucky, into an actual state of funk. Maybe I just need to listen to some Bootsy Collins or something..) Anyway, unfortunately for me and my non-desirable funk, knitting is not an option right now. I have far too many other things to do, or at least I tell myself that I do. In fact, I probably don't have all that much to do. Saying that I'm so busy is, I think, a product of our American way of life. Being ridiculously busy is almost a status symbol, a way of showing how important you are without actually saying that you are important. Frankly, I hate it. I hate it and I'm going to do something about it. I'm going to make time for the knit. I'm not going to tell myself I'm sooo busy in order to not feel guilty about not knitting or not working out or not doing anything else that I tell myself I'm too busy to do. Here, here. I am resolved. When I return from class today, I will make time to work on my poor, neglected WIP, the one I started at Christmas, the one I keep setting aside for other, faster projects. And it's a vest, for crying out loud. It's not even a long project. (You know what got me? It was the wide band of 2x2 ribbing at the bottom. That takes forever. In fact, I became a continental knitter solely because of this project. I'm glad I did it, though. I like knitting continental [-ly?]). Anyway, here's what it looks like so far:

2005_0328stash_WIP0002
It's the U-neck vest from the first issue of Knit.1, a magazine which excited me with its premiere issue and disappointed me vastly with its second. (Does anyone want an unused copy of Knit.1?) But this pattern is cool, and I think it will be a good, pre-first-sweater project. (And yes, I'm using the exact colors called for in the original pattern, which makes me somewhat ashamed, but they were the best colors, in my humble opinion.)

(And yes, I really like parentheticals.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home