Monday, March 28

Here goes nothing

I like to think of myself as a chic who does her own thing, a girl to be reckoned with, a broad who refuses to do what everyone else is doing simply because, well, everyone else is doing it. To further abuse a familiar cliche, I fancy that I dance through life accompanied by my own drummer. Here, I hope to document my craftiness. Mostly I knit, sometimes I sew, and on occasion, I just like to dig in with my hands and make something unique.

Having said that, take a look at my garter stitch scarf (well, really it's my husband's garter stitch scarf, but since I made it, possessiveness lingers).
2005_0328knittingandjewlery0009
This was my very first project, dating all the way back to October 2004. How time flies. I warn you not to look at it too carefully, because it is, without question, the work of a rank amateur. The pattern is from SnB, which was my first knitting teacher. If any of you are familiar with this scarf, you will know that the erratic striping scheme was not the intention of the pattern's author. Thus, perhaps, the truth of my opening statements ring a bit truer. I just liked it better this way. (And for those of you wondering, it's made from Lamb's Pride Bulky and it's HUGE). The first day my husband, the high school teacher, wore it to work, he got tons of compliments from his students. (Wow, you know you've achieved something when you manage to impress high schoolers. And this coming from a girl who was consistently sarcastic and unamused as a high schooler.)

Here are some other things that I've made and would like to show off. (Humor me.) My knitting bag, with which I christened my new sewing machine: (In case it's difficult to see, the picture is Liechtenstein) (This is actually an old project, too, but what the hell? I'm proud of it.)

2005_0328knittingandjewlery0008

Some stitch markers I made over the weekend:
2005_0328knittingandjewlery0001


And last but not least, the pride of any knitter's collection. The needles. Most of these are Clover bamboo, because they are cheap and easily available, but I'm starting to hate them. Well, that's overly mean to the poor bamboos...we've had good times together. But I'm really jonesin' to try some Addis. Anyway, whether or not the bamboos are always the best tool for the knitting job, they are undoubtedly boring. I mean, the patina is nice, but I longed to have beautiful needles are sold by tiny knitting boutiques. You know, the kind that are topped with beautiful beads or shiny baubles. Well, I decided to rectify that situation the only way I knew how. Voila.
2005_0328knittingandjewlery0006

(In case the shelf full of musical scores behind the needle bouquet wasn't a dead giveaway, my husband and I are both musicians and do a lot of music-y things.)

I guess this is the point at which I sit back on my haunches, survey my first blog post, and decide that it is good. Hmm...


4 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Very nice stitch markers!Those are some of the nicest I've seen.

Welcome to blogland, btw. :)

9:20 PM, March 28, 2005  
Blogger amylovie said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. I love your stich markers and your bag! You should be proud.

Amy

9:36 PM, March 28, 2005  
Blogger Amber said...

Great idea with the needles. And I love your bag! Very funky.

11:31 PM, March 28, 2005  
Blogger Cara said...

Thanks so much, everyone, for your lovely comments and encouraging words. I wasn't even expecting one visitor to my little ol' blog, let alone three. Makes a girl feel special.

12:28 PM, March 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home