Sunday, April 10

Another day, enabled once again

Recently, I've been overwhelmed by a burning desire to design something. In fact, this was one of the reasons I first took up the needles and taught myself to knit. Now, understand that I don't have the most garment-making experience in the world, let alone garment-design experience. But I figure, how hard can it be? I'll never know unless I try. And once that lure was cast, I just kept biting at the bait.

My first thought was to design a scarf for the Vogue Knitting-sponsered
Purling for a Passion scarf design contest. A scarf isn't difficult, right? It's just a rectangular strip of knitting. But it has to be creative...and therein lies the rub. I've been in a frenzy trying to choose just the right stitch pattern from my new books. Here's the yarn I'm using for said scarf (yes, yes, the submission deadline is about five days away, but I'm a habitual procrastinator, and I work best under pressure. I don't think I ever started working on a paper in college more than two days before it was due.)
DSCF0050
Isn't it cute how they're snuggled up together in my ugly armchair? (I know you can't see the whole chair, but trust me. It's ugly) The darker pink yarn (Mission Falls 1824 Superwash Merino) is so soft and so cozy that I'm a little jealous that it's necking with the Patons Divine.

Then there's my recent rash of knitting purchases. Multiple consumergasms. I love the color of this cotton but, my God, I wish I had a ball winder. And a swift. Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we endeavor to design ourselves a summery top.
DSCF0053
I somehow talked my husband into helping me coax this messy, unholy pile into submission. I might finish untangling it just in time for fall.

Yesterday, I bought this deliciously cuddly yarn for a stole I'm going to make for my Mom for Momma's Day. It's Classic Elite Miracle, and it's heavenly. Oh, and there's a new pair of Brittany birch straights. Not for the stole, but for my own pleasure.
DSCF0052

3 Comments:

Blogger monkeemaven said...

On Friday nights the sheep head to town and drink themselves dizzy.

Did you try closing all the windows and doors, then opening them again?

I think that Dave did that and it worked for him.

5:04 PM, April 10, 2005  
Blogger amylovie said...

I was just thinking I wanted a swift & a ball winder today. They say great minds think alike...

Can't wait ot see the progress on your design. The yarns you chose are goreous!

I love the ends of the Brittany needles.

7:34 PM, April 10, 2005  
Blogger Wendy said...

You know what? You NEED a ball winder AND a swift. Awhile ago, when I really didn't need them, I got them anyway, and you know what...? Even when I didn't need them I needed them. So go buy them. (does that make sense?) I Had a glass of wine.

10:50 PM, April 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home