Wednesday, April 6

Fashion euphoria, knitting ADD

So, I'm going to let you all in on my little problem. I love fashion (we haven't reached the problem, yet). I sometimes feel a little ashamed, a little secretive, about this, because fashion is one of those things that intelligent women should be above caring about. I'm sure you know what I mean--fashion is shallow, surface, ultimately meaningless. For me, however, putting together a smashing ensemble, or even topping off a casual outfit with one indescribably hip and unexpected accessory...well, this is one of the things that I live for. Even if that's stating it a little extremely, it's not a stretch to tell you that fashion and self-expression are synonymous for me.

So get to the problem, already.

Well, looking through knitting patterns is like browsing high-end clothing catalogues for me. It's an opportunity to pick out unique items, or not-so unique items, that I can personalize and make my own. Unfortunately, this means that I do a lot more settling on projects than actually finishing them. The other day, my far-from-fashion-conscious husband said to me, "Isn't it overwhleming to have so many things you want to knit? If it were me, I wouldn't even know where to begin." Pshaw, I thought at the time. But he kind of got to me. It IS overwhelming. I do know where to begin, but what I don't know is how to finish. I always get distracted by some other sparkly clothing item, the radar beeps, "Ooh, I must have that," and then the lonely back of a vest just sits next to my armchair for a week as a I dream of summer tops or fuzzy cardigans.

And (*voice drops to a whisper as she looks around furtively*) I hate swatching.

2 Comments:

Anonymous christine said...

I just added a link to you on my blog, I think this is one of the funniest blogs I have ever read! You write wonderfully!! You rule!

2:05 PM, April 08, 2005  
Blogger Cara said...

Awww, shucks. Your comment made my day. Hopefully you won't see this as an empty gesture, but I'm linking to your blog, too, so other people can check out your mega-cool style.

4:21 PM, April 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home