Thursday, April 28

The shrug saga continues

Cotton angora...2005_0404Image0004

...meet your destiny.
shrug

As every knitter knows, there are roughly a jillion shrug patterns out there. Shrug patterns that suit every imaginable taste. If you're looking for a shrug, my guess is that somewhere, there is one with your name on it. Short-sleeved, long-sleeved, poofy, streamlined, lacy, minimalistic. They're all out there, just waiting to suck you in with their trendy and trend-setting allure. And, being the fickle knitter I am, how can I ever be sure that this shrug is the one with my name written on it? I'll tell you how. By knowing how to read the signs. That's right. The fact is that
this shrug pattern calls for the exact yardage that I already have. Now, I'm not a superstitious person, nor do I get caught up in mystical hullabaloo, but how else could I interpret this except for that the gods of knitting, knowing how difficult this decision would be for me ("But, ooh, that shrug looks pretty too..."), have smiled upon me. And I will accept this sign. I will accept it and believe that this shrug and I were meant for each other. I promise, little shrug, to never sneak around behind your abbreviated back, looking at other shrug patterns that might be even better, second-guessing that you are the one.


Sometimes, my creative neuroses find a satisfying outlet in sewing. Last week, I made a purse with an upolstery sample square that I got for $1 at a local craft joint. Yes, I had to dive to the bottom of the bin of upholstery samples to find this one, but it was worth it. After all, there was a hand-written sign posted above the bin--"Only $1! What can you make?"--and I've never been one to take poster taunting lightly. Anyway,
DSCF0059
I made it following, approximately,
this tutorial for a clutch, although clearly I made some customizations and alterations. If I were to do it over again, I would definitely interface the crap out of those brown border pieces, which are a little too crinkly for my taste.

So, I was shopping in my
favorite store the other day, new purse in tow, and the sales clerk said, "Oh, I really like your bag." Though my first inclination was to blurt out ostentatiously, "I made it!," I responded simply, "Thanks." I'm wondering how other knitters and sewers out there deal with this. It's wonderful to be proud of one's handicrafting skills, but to my mind, it's just a little bit obnoxious to respond to compliments by loudly proclaiming to everyone that you are, indeed, talented. Maybe it's just me.


In lieu of a snapy conclusion, and because I love photographs of her, I will end thus:

louise1
Louise Brooks is the quintessence of fabulous.

4 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

Ahhhh....your destiny shrug....it couldn't be anything other than fabulous. Your purse is darn cute too!

Have a wonderful weekend,
Amy

8:47 AM, April 29, 2005  
Anonymous Becky said...

Ahhh! A fellow Louise Brooks fan. People, the house is officially rocked.

I love the shrug you picked. I've got about 10 shrugs on my wishlist and I'm hoping to knit about three this spring/summer. This is definitely the season of the shrug.

1:04 PM, May 04, 2005  
Anonymous Evonne said...

Heh Heh, I am pretty modest myself, but I think the correct response is indeed. "Thanks, I made it myself!" No worries about being too show-offy or anything, you should be proud that you made/knit something with your two bare hands and talented self. It's worth a lot these days in the world of mass produced stuff. I have been complimented on a shirt I sewed from a pattern and a bag I made at Anthropologie, one of my favorite stores, by the sales staff, so I take those as high compliments. Did you read the page in "At Knit's End"? She too says that we should respond by saying "Thanks, it was a challenge but I did it." and not "Aw, thanks, it was nothing" - we should not minimize the effort we put into our knitting crafting!!

.. but I know what you mean, it is sometimes hard to accept compliments graciously without feeling all embarrassed.

7:24 PM, May 09, 2005  
Blogger Meredith said...

I'm making that very same shrug for my daughter. It's almost done and I think its going to look adorable on her (she's 13). I might even wear it (I'm much older and not sure if shrugs would work for me) Any hoo, can't wait to see pics of yours.

8:09 AM, May 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home