Friday, May 27

Still life with candle, clock, and yarn

DSCF0118

Boy, I'll tell you what. Nothing makes you wish for a ball winder and swift more than hand-winding a ball of yarn this size. I included the scenery thinking that it would accurately convey the size of the finished ball of yarn, but then I remembered that you have no idea how big or small my knick-knacks are. So I measured the thing. Five inches tall and almost seventeen inches in diameter.

All. Hand. Wound.

Anyway, once I get myself the proper needles I will get down to transforming this hunka-hunka burning yarn into a beautiful Clap-o-tee. I know, I know. I'm trendy. I've succumbed to the dark side. Maybe you'll say, "But Cara. Weren't you recently working on a shrug? How is that not trendy?" To which I would respond, "What are you, an elephant? Nobody's memory is that good."

So, on the subject of that shrug, let's just say that things did not turn out as planned. For starters, the yarn was bulky enough that it made the ruffles look limp and droopy instead of cute and coquettish. And, despite my best efforts to lengthen the sleeves so that the ruffles would fall to that perfect spot just below the elbow, they still managed to be too short. And the whole thing cut off my armpit circulation. Damn my monkey arms. Anyway, since the wedding was this past weekend, I had to resort to wearing a *shhh* store-bought cardigan. Don't tell the knitting police. But the shrug is not lost. I think I will simply gift it to one of my shorter, thinner sisters.

In other knitting news, I am looking for a summer job. (Hold tight. It'll get knitty in a second.) And I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be great to work at my LYS instead of doing some poor-fool food service gig?" (Not to offend any of the saintly folk who work in food service. I myself spent most of high school waitressing/working drive-thru at a little chili joint in my hometown, and most of college perfecting my behind-the-counter-charms while working as a barista). Anyway, myself answered with a resounding yes. So I screwed up the courage to email said LYS and ask if they are, by any chance, hiring in the near future. They are. They're looking for someone who is willing to work on weekends (check), who can be flexible about scheduling (check) and who posseses "expert knitting skills" (D'oh!). So I'm wondering how I can go about fooling them into thinking me an expert. I've been knitting for less than a year, and no matter how you spin it, that doesn't scream expert. What I do consider myself is a really fast learner, a person who picks things up very quickly and easily. Not to brag, or anything, but this is, in fact, how I've obtained all of my knitting skills. In an attempt to prove to them that I have some idea of what I'm doing, I worked up this little knitting-skillz (yup, that's skillz with a z) sampler.
DSCF0112
It's got some mad increasing and decreasing, a cable (which you can't really see), some simple intarsia, and some fair-isle penguins. And they were my first ever cable (without a cable needle, I might add), intarsia, and fair-isle.

I know, it's not that impressive. But a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

9 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

I don't know about the LYS, but I'm impressed. I bet you have the job in the bag!

Have a great weekend,
Amy

6:33 PM, May 27, 2005  
Blogger carrie said...

totally fabulous! i adore the penguins. i think bringing you on staff to show off your skillz would be inspirational for new knitters.

9:23 PM, May 30, 2005  
Blogger natasha said...

how could they possibly not hire you when you put together the knitting resume. that is the most adorable thing i have ever seen.

10:49 PM, May 30, 2005  
Blogger efa said...

Great sample. Good luck with your summer job :)

2:55 PM, May 31, 2005  
Anonymous Laura said...

They would be crazy not to hire you. Wow, working around something that you love to do, and are so obviously talented at. You've got a fabulous summer coming on.

P>S> I'm jealous.

7:16 PM, June 01, 2005  
Anonymous christine said...

Ahhhh, I gave in and got the clap fever too! But it's so much FUN!!!!

2:06 PM, June 02, 2005  
Anonymous Becky said...

Hand-winding yarn. Oh, I hear you. I once tried to wind a hank of Cotton Chenille into a ball and it took me four freakin' hours to untangle the mess. That episode has put me off of hand-winding for a while. I've got a Charlotte's Web worth of Koigu in my stash, but won't go near the hanks for fear of the hand-winding.

Good luck with your summer job!

P.S. Don't worry about wearing the store-bought cardigan instead of the hand-knit shrug. I've got a drawer full of store-bought sweaters, but don't tell anyone. Hee hee!

12:51 PM, June 06, 2005  
Anonymous janine said...

Good luck with the job! I love the colour of the wool for you Clapotis. I too was late to the party but have now knitted two! ( I've also got a drawer full of shop bought sweaters. My office is quite warm and I really don't fancy knitting a whole wardrobe of 2 and 4 ply jumpers!)

6:08 AM, June 07, 2005  
Blogger Sandra may be knitting a ranchhouse said...

hey, i know all about the pain and agony that comes from living without a yarn winder. Agh.

Can't wait to see your clap. it's going to look so awesome in that pretty yarn.

10:48 PM, July 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home