Tuesday, June 28

Red letter day

Boy, my secret pal is just the greatest secret pal in the world. She clearly puts a lot of effort into finding things she thinks would be perfect for me based on my questionnaire. But, she is clearly also necromantic, or a whiz with a crystal ball, or at least has a really great realtionship with Dionne Warwick via the Psychic Friends Network. Because even when she goes out on a limb and sends something that I didn't specify precisely (I mean, it's hard enough to do this with friends and relatives much of the time, let alone relative strangers), it's always a bullseye. Surely we all remember the first box of wonderment. Well, check out package nummer zwei.

DSCF0136

Here's a rundown:
  • a fantastic card with a New York Times crossword puzzle on the front
  • a set of three Brittany wooden cable needles; I never mentioned needing or wanting these, but recently I have been longing for them. Seriously. Longing. Cabling with aluminum cable needles is no fun, and wooden ones just look so much prettier and classier.
  • a bea-u-ti-ful pair of Lantern Moon needles, size 10; I think they might be rosewood? These are my first gorgeous hardwood needles and I adore them. They will make the aesthetic experience of knitting absolutely transcendent.
  • some lavender flavored Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps; if you've never run across any cleaning products by the ol' Doc, you should really check them out, if for no other reason than the packages are often filled to the brim with hilarious mantras and exclamations.
  • a lovely pair of handknitted socks because of my fervently professed non-desire to knit socks; as she wrote, "It seemed only natural to knit socks for someone with a thing against knitting socks." These represent the first time in my life anyone has ever knit something just for me. They fit like a glove, too. See? DSCF0139
  • And I saved the best for last. That gorgeous blue yarn in the box (See it? Do you see it?) is 100% cashmere. 150 yards of it. All I can say is, damn. On my questionnaire, I jokingly responded that my dream yarn is cashmere, but only in my dreams. Well, somebody pinch me. Amanda, you totally win.

8 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

How awesome!

7:01 PM, June 28, 2005  
Blogger amylovie said...

***whistles***

What a kind SP. Isn't it a great feeling that a stranger cares so much for you? To take the time to think of the perfect things for you is wonderful.

7:31 PM, June 28, 2005  
Blogger Ali said...

OWO...I mean WOW. Just looking at your pics and descriptions of your SP packages has me shaking and drooling.lol

You truly might just have THE best SP ever!

cashmere.......cashmere......cashmere. What more could one want? And Lantern Moon needles to boot!

Ali

8:17 PM, June 28, 2005  
Anonymous Rachel said...

That's fantastic! Handknit socks just for you -- what a great secret pal!

8:12 AM, June 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad the socks fit!

The Lantern Moon needles are indeed rosewood, though it took my intrepid boyfriend looking at the packaging to figure that out.

10:44 AM, June 29, 2005  
Anonymous Becky said...

Boy, you have one thoughtful sp!

10:26 AM, July 05, 2005  
Blogger Anna said...

Wow, I think you have the best secret pal on the planet!

10:46 AM, July 05, 2005  
Blogger Sandra may be knitting a ranchhouse said...

holy, holy, HOLY CRAP! what a sweet haul. wow, i'm speechless. you are the luckiest gal ever! what can i say?

10:50 PM, July 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home