Thursday, June 16

Strapless and hapless

2003_0101Image0010

It's like those puzzles you used to see when you were a kid. Maybe on Sesame Street or some other PBS show. Is anyone with me here? You'd be shown an extreme close-up of something to see if you could identify the "real object"? The point was seemingly to illustrate how zany it is that something resembling the surface of a distant planet could actually be some guy's arm. The supreme disjuncton between the parts and the whole, or the alienness of things we believe are so familiar as to take for granted. Or something like that. Anyway, that's sort of what I feel like I'm doing here. How many of you astute knitting readers can identify the FO from this close-up stitch shot?

2003_0101Image0008

If you guessed Lelah, you win a cookie. (So go get yourself a cookie. I reccomend something by Pepperidge Farms.)
Here are some specs on the finished garment.
Pattern: Lelah, by the talented Christine at Knitting for Boozehags
Yarn: exactly 2 skeins of Lion Brand Cotton Ease, color Blueberry #109
Needles: for lace - Addi turbo circulars, size 9; for stockinette section - Susan Bates aluminum circs, size 7
Pattern Notes: This was an easy and fun knit. I made the large size, although I adjusted for my own measurements in the top part. I did an extra repeat of the lace pattern at the bottom, because I traditionally have a problem with tops not being long enough on my tall frame. I wanted this one to be flowy and flattering below its empire waistline, rather than revealing the fact that I could stand to do some crunches. I had to resort to doing some randomly placed decreases near the top, to make sure things would fit snugly over the girls. I would also reccommend using a sewing machine for the band at the top. Much, much faster than hand sewing.

And now I'll work it for the camera:
2003_0101Image0004 2003_0101Image0002
Here you can see how nicely it fits at the top, and how pasty and pale I look wearing it. (You're absolutely right. That's not at all the fault of the top. Lest anyone think that this top makes its wearer look like a zombie and Christine sues me for defamation of character. A little lip gloss might have gone a long way for me in that first photo.) You can see, also, how sassy and, at the same time, pensive it makes me feel. (Oh, for the day when I can model my finished knitwear without looking like a dope.)


7 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Now that is a cute top! (But I'll admit, I thought it was a skirt in the 2nd photo)

I don't think I could pull it off, but it looks smashing on you!

11:40 AM, June 16, 2005  
Blogger Wendy said...

It's stunning!!!! I have been wanting to do a strapless number but I think I'm too old, even though I'm in decent shape, I get that little bit of fatty blob under each arm and, well, yuk.

But you are fabulous! Maybe I can make one for my much younger and tinier sister? Hey, that's an idea! Thanks for the inspiration. And I just so happen to have the same color of CE hanging around.

11:41 AM, June 16, 2005  
Blogger amylovie said...

Ha! I totally got your Sesame Street reference.

You look fantastic! I wish I could pull that pattern off.

Have a great weekend,
Amy

1:10 PM, June 16, 2005  
Blogger Faerynuff said...

That's really cute. Mmm, would suit me I wonder? Probably not! Where is the pattern from though?

4:32 PM, June 16, 2005  
Blogger Christie said...

Very cute...yet another think I want to knit up for summer...ugh...the list never ends!

7:11 PM, June 16, 2005  
Anonymous Becky said...

Oh la la, you are SO working that top. Talk about your cutting edge knitting, too. Best of all, it looks really fabulous on you! (And yes, I'm jealous that you get to wear it. Aaaaaah!)

11:43 AM, June 21, 2005  
Anonymous christine said...

AHA! Now I know who you are on craftster! (I was supposed to be a blonde) send me a pic to my email! Cchristine16 AT yahoo DOT com
I'll put it in the gallery! I think you look great! I'm 5'11 so I'm all about the amazonian thing! YEY! WE RULE! Shoot, my daughter is freaking out about an ice cream cone right now.. I'll be baaaaack!

5:28 PM, June 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home