Friday, August 5

Who are you calling a copycat?

WHEW! Remember, a few posts back, when I bragged/lamented the fact that I'm not really a more-than-one-project-at-a-time kinda kid? Well, working at a yarn shop has got me all in a knitting tizzy. One of the greatest perks of my job, as I believe I've mentioned, is that the store gets reimbursed for yarn used to knit store samples. This means that I get free yarn to knit with, and the only caveat is that my finished goods have to hang in the shop for a few months for customers to ogle at. When such a knitting world is opened up before one, what do you think happens? Craziness, my friends. Total chaos.

My first project was the IK Fiery Bolero. You know it, you've seen it, half of you have probably knit it. I'm using the exact red Cathay that the pattern calls for (loving the Cathay, by the way), but I've come to a standstill. Damn you, 200+ picked-up stitches!

So, in lieu of a big glass of wine at work to help me with the tedium of finishing the Bolero of Fire, I started other projects. I made a cute little hat out of Rowan Cotton Rope. And that Loop-d-Loop Little Red Riding Hood capelet out of Rowan Big Wool. And currently, I'm knitting this
DSCF0160
out of Rowan All Seasons Cotton. Have you sensed the theme yet? Isn't this pattern great? It's from a circa 1950s knitting magazine, but I think it looks so modern. Fresh, even. Then again, I'm the girl who will fall for anything if someone slaps the "vintage" or "retro" label on it. I just love this model's coy expression, that slightly come-hither look in her eyes that mingles with a "What? Me, alluring?" vibe. And, I'm a sucker for a nipped-in waist. The funny thing about this pattern is that it comes from a booklet featuring "Patterns Using Bulky Yarn." There is no gauge bigger than 5 sts to the inch to be found among its pages. Oh you, knitters of old.

By the way, All Seasons Cotton is my new lover. It is the greatest stuff on earth. It's super soft with great body (kind of like me) (No, I jest) and fantastic drape. For anyone who thinks they hate knitting with cotton, I defy you to find anything wrong with this stuff. Seriously, try. I love it so much that I just acquired another 10 skeins of it from a co-worker who was trying to unload it. (For $30, I might add. I'm sorry, but I can never resist crowing about a killer deal.) It's a lovely charcoal color, and I think I'm going to use it to make this:
apricotJacket

Now, I know what you're thinking. Everyone's made this. You've made it, your mother's made it, your fifth grade teacher has probably made it. But in my defense, I've had a secret crush on this jacket ever since I saw it over at Fluffa's. I can't help it that I love this jacket and that so many other people happen to have good taste as well. Why am I getting so defensive? Who knows? It probably has to do with the fierce grip I have on the delusion that I am an individual who does NOT follow the whims of the masses. I've always gotten really annoyed when things that I think are cool just happen to become trendy, in whatever circles. In any event, I'll still be the only person I know with such a perfect specimen of a sweater.

On a related front, I finished my Clapotis. Pictures coming soon.

14 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

COPY CAT! Did you read my blog? Hmmm....I think that I posted the same exact sweater with yarn of a similar color. That's ok...you're cool, I'm flattered. :) ha ha ha!!!

9:06 PM, August 05, 2005  
Blogger amylovie said...

Call me crazy, but I've never seen that apricot jacket. And yes, it is ab fab!

Have a great weekend,
Amy

9:18 PM, August 05, 2005  
Blogger little kernel said...

I'm super impressed! It's beautiful!!

12:00 AM, August 06, 2005  
Blogger happyspider said...

Look, the reason everyone knit that jacket is because it is STUNNING! If i wasn't stuck in Australia where there are no decent yarns and everything is DK synthetic i would knit this baby in a flash.
So do it, so i can knit vicariously through you!

8:43 PM, August 09, 2005  
Blogger carrie said...

for heaven's sake, show us some photos of your finished objects! you are so totally prolific. and i see you, too, have been bitten by the shrug bug. what's not to love about mini-sweaters?

11:23 PM, August 09, 2005  
Anonymous Becky said...

That vintage bolero is TO DIE FOR. I'm a sucker for those old patterns. And reworked/styled with modern accessories, they're really fresh. Can't wait to see this one finished!

8:44 AM, August 10, 2005  
Blogger Ashbloem said...

I actually copy everything Becky does. It's true. So, don't feel bad about being a general trend copycat. At least you aren't a stalker, like me!

2:40 PM, August 15, 2005  
Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

Let them call you a
lemming, you shall rise above,
yours will be greatest.

You've been haiku-ed!

12:20 PM, September 13, 2005  
Blogger Trog said...

Nice blog I have one myself great idea winning tips

11:22 AM, October 04, 2005  
Blogger nope said...

Hi,

I'm sorry for being intrusive in to your blog. But I am Melissa and I am a mother of two that is just trying to get out of an incredible financial debt. See my hubby is away in Iraq trying to protect this great country that we live in, and I am at home with our two kids telling bill collectors please be patiant. When my husband returns from war we will beable to catch up on our payments. We have already had are 2001 Ford repossessed from the bank, and are now down to a 83 buick that is rusted from front to back and the heater don't work, and tire tax is due in November.

I'm not asking for your pitty because we got our ownselfs into this mess but we would love you and thank you in our prayers if you would just keep this link on your blog for others to view.

God Bless You.

Melissa K. W.
To see my family view this page. My Family


Full Software Download - Get full access to thousands of applications!

Restore, Fix & Clean Up Your Registry Files and Errors in Windows. Does your PC crash, is your system running slow or are you receiving regular error messages? This program will scan your system registry and hard drive for invalid file and system references for free. These invalid references cause system instability, PC errors, constant crashes, and general system slowdowns.

XoftSpy - The Latest in Anti-Spyware & Adware Technology

8:57 AM, October 12, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It pretty much covers Replica related stuff.

7:11 AM, October 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just viewed your blog/site with the keyword **handbag** and really

8:58 PM, October 22, 2005  
Anonymous high profile said...

Thanks for a good read on your blog.

I’m leaving a little “teaser” for you here to start you thinking about something you may have disregarded for awhile.

Perhaps it will make a difference in your day, month or year. Who knows, it could change your life!

I hope this is of great benefit to you, and maybe you can pass it on…

How to Begin to Achieve Your Goals

Once you have set your lifetime goals, the best thing that you can do is set a 25 year plan of smaller goals that you should complete if you are to reach your lifetime plan.
From there you can just shorten your overall goal spans for example, you set a 5 year plan, 1 year plan, 6 month plan, and 1 month plan of progressively smaller goals that you should reach to achieve your lifetime goals.

Each of these should be based on the previous plan. It is the best way to begin to achieve a lifetime that is filled with and results in a life without any failed wishes. It results in a life without regret.

You see, by starting out slowly, you are giving yourself the chance to realize and work on achieving the goals that you set out to.

Nobody ever succeeds at attaining a goal that was forced through. Those that tried never really got what they were hoping for. In rushing through and trying to achieve your goals quickly you will likely miss a few key aspects that can really change your outcome.

Think of it this way; if you were to run a 10K marathon and decided to take a cab for half of the journey; have you really achieved that goal? Would you be satisfied when you crossed the finish line?

It would be a hollow victory that could only provide a moments happiness.

Finally set a daily to do list of the things that you should do today to work towards your lifetime goals.

At an early stage these goals may be to read books and gather information on the achievement of your goals. This will help you to improve the quality and realism of your goal setting and in effect; make it easier to achieve them.

You also have to review your plans, and make sure that they fit the way in which you want to live your life.

Once you have decided what your first set of plans will be, keep the process going by reviewing and updating your to-do list on a daily basis.

You have to periodically review the longer term plans, and change them to reflect your changing priorities and experiences in your life.

Have a GREAT day, and set a few new goals while you’re at it!

You can find more "tidbits" on goal setting at Reachable Goals.

PS. If this was helpful to you and you think someone else might be able to use it please pass it on. You never know, you could change someones life with this simple information!

12:05 PM, November 18, 2005  
Anonymous Profession said...



HI Cara

After a good read on blogs like this I like to leave little tips on goal setting. You know, the things you used to dream of when you were young, or even now.

A lot of research has shown that only those who set goals are likely to achieve their dreams.

When is the last time you really sat down and wrote a few short term and long term goals down?

What? It's been that long!

A new year is coming. You could do the same things you did this year and achieve the same results you did with your life dreams last year…

…or you could visit Effective Goal Setting and read all the FREE information on setting goals and getting what you want out of life

OR

you could just piddle on through life hoping for the best, like most people do.

Which will it be?

You really can have a lot more of everything than you do now. All you gotta do is know what you want and have a plan.

Have a GREAT New Year!

1:36 AM, November 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home