Wednesday, November 30

Scarf mania

100_0091

As promised, here is a better picture of the Backyard (not Falling, as I mistakenly dubbed it yesterday) Leaves scarf. Notice the adorable, pointy leaf ends, and the sweet, waving edges.

100_0093

I must have a thing for scarves with waving edges. Witness the Christmas present scarf I recently finished for my mum.

100_0097

Admittedly, "finished" is a generous description. There are ends to weave in, and I'm going to line the sucker with some beautiful rusty-browny colored velvet. (I know my color description doesn't sound too appealing, but trust me when I say it's gorgeous.)

Yarn: Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk (again I am deviant on the color number)
[My mother is such a picky color customer, that I had to send snips of yarn to her so she could pick the color she'd be most likely to wear. She is
very particular when it comes to wardrobe colors. I was having nightmares of trying to choose a color on my own and lovingly knitting her a beautiful gift, only to have it languish in the back of her closet because it "washes her out" or "makes her look sick" or some other such nonsense. But she chose this apricot shade, so here's crossing my fingers that she likes it.]
Needles: US 8 Addi Turbos (I think the size 8 needles are perfect for this yarn.)
Pattern: my own, but based on the fairly common candle-flame stitch
Notes: This yarn was lovely to work with, although I'm a little concerned with how well it will hold up. The finished product is wonderfully shiny and drapey, but it seems like it could get old-looking quickly. It is also quite soft, but I'm lining it because I am one of those strange people who finds baby alpaca somewhat itchy against the skin. Sinfully soft to pet, but makes me feel like I'm going to break out in a rash if I have to be on intimate terms with it. Since I know my mom is equally sensitive to itchy things, I decided lining it was the way to go. And it will look pretty cool. And, I think my mother will be pretty impressed. To block it, I just washed it in Eucalan and pinned in place. (It took forEVER to dry.)

In other scarf news (because two scarves does not a mania make), I have just started Forbes Forest, which will be a Christmas gift for my dear Dad. I know it will impress him (although, honestly, I am blessed with one of those fathers who is not at all difficult to impress. Especially when it comes to the talents of his children). I'm using KnitPicks Merino Style, which, so far, I love. I'm also knitting my guy a Christmas scarf. His is not totally a surprise, since he picked out the yarn when we were at Rheinbeck. (I know! Can you believe he went to Rheinbeck with me? And he didn't complain and he was good at pretending he enjoyed it.) I'm debating whether to do a simple cable/rib combo or a basketweave.

100_0094

I bought three hanks of this luscious Morehouse Merino. What can I say? The boy's got good taste.

6 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

I love the mania! Both of your scarves are lovely, can't wait to see the results of the second two!

2:01 PM, November 30, 2005  
Blogger amylovie said...

You've got some kinda man there that will go to Rheinbeck with you.

Amy

4:24 PM, November 30, 2005  
Blogger Rain said...

Both are really nice, I especially like the blue one.

Hope your mum likes the one you made for her, it will look great lined.

5:20 AM, December 01, 2005  
Blogger Sandra may be knitting a ranchhouse said...

holy moly, you're alive! that scarf looks quite fabulous. very nice.

11:41 AM, December 01, 2005  
Anonymous keli said...

"You're back!" cried a small voice in the wilderness.

Mmm...alpaca silk. Like knitting with butter. But cleaner.

11:09 AM, December 02, 2005  
Blogger yahaira said...

both of those look luscious!

10:43 PM, December 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home