Wednesday, February 15

As if I need more project ideas


bobbleblue

I am in love.

I am in love with this sweater like I've rarely been in love with an item of knitwear before. OK, so while that may not be technically true, this particular sweater carries with it an extra punch, an eleventh-hour, Hail-Mary that is fairly unique in the history of my knitting project-lust.

Vignette: When I first started knitting, I remember an afternoon spent curled up in the corner of a bookstore, paging through every knitting book on their shelves. I drank it all up thirstily: the techniques, the patterns, the stitches. I was amazed and giddy at this whole world of wardrobe possibility that had opened up before me. (Because, and I feel a little bit like I'm divulging a dirty little secret, when all is said and done, I'm in this knitting thing for the clothes. It's not that I don't love the process, or that I don't get that little thrill when I'm working on particularly clever patterns, or that indescribable satisfaction that comes from mastering new and difficult techniques. I do. But it's the fashion that really makes my heart stop most often. I'm a clothes horse.) And as I sat there, cross-legged on the bookshop floor, the vision of a sweater floated into my imagination, a sweater the texture, details, and shape of which I would one day be good enough to design and knit.

A sweater that looked almost exactly like this little Bobble Blue number from Interweave.

What is it, exactly, about this sweater? I think it's that it combines two of my favorite sartorial themes. It packs a lovely and subtly sexy vintage silhouette with a whole French gamine-sort of feel. It's a sweater that I could totally picture Amelie Poulain wearing as she traipsed through the hidden, cobblestoned byways of Paris. In my mind, there is no sweater better suited to sitting at a little wrought-iron table outside a cafe, sipping a melange. (And in my mind, there are few better ways to pass the time than sitting outside a cafe, sipping a melange. A clothes-horse of simple pleasures.)


While we're on the subject:

trellisscarf

I think I will also make this scarf. Unlike the sweater, I couldn't say why this ethereal bit of lace struck a chord with me. Undoubtedly, it's gorgeous, but whisper-weight lace has never really been my thing. (As a sidenote, I think it's so interesting to try to dissect the appeal of knitting projects. Some are no-brainers, while others draw you in and you're not sure why. Some strike you immediately as horrible and then, a week later, you find yourself wanting to knit them. Others have that whole choir of angels, backlit glow going on when you first stumble across them, but then, in a month, you can't really remember what was so great about that project in the first place.)

Anyway, I actually have some Knitpicks Alpaca Cloud in my stash, and out of the blue I'm jonesin' to try my hand at lace. Real lace, you know, with fine yarn and tiny needles, not just a couple of yarnovers and fancy decreases in worsted weight. Something worthy of blocking wires.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christie said...

That is a sexy, wear with a pencil skirt or cropped pants and espadrilles and sit and lounge kinda sweater. Very cute.

I've been jonesing to try lace again too...we'll see if I answer the call.

1:59 PM, February 15, 2006  
Blogger amylovie said...

Go for both of them. They are gorgeous.

Amy

3:07 PM, February 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home