Thursday, February 16

As if I need more projects, part II


But, you see, I had all this lovely yarn. Just sitting around my house. Stacked and lonely. (Not stacked, like, you know, in need of a bra or anything but just, well, look at the picture.) Anyway, this delicious Hand Dyed "Pot Luck" Yarn from Persimmon Tree Farm was another of my Rheinbeck spoils. For some reason, I decided I needed to knit a shawl. You know, the impulse came over me hard and fast that one week in October, and so I came home from Fiberdise with, among other things, a whole mess of this gorgeous wool/mohair blend. With which to make a shawl. Because I need one, or something.

As with most of my compulsive knitting brainstorms, this one was quickly placed on the backburner. Halfheartedly and intermittently, I tried to find an appropriate pattern. Until about a week ago, when suddenly the impulse was back and rarin'. Thanks to this. And thus, a shawl was born.
100_0387

With the help of a luscious hank of rosy Malabrigo and my brand new Needlemasters (which, incidentally, are fantastic*) I cast on. It has become my A.D.D. corrective. I work on it a little when another project is getting me down. Or boring me momentarily. You know, like say, hypothetically, my Somewhat Cowl.


Speaking of the devil...

So I managed to forge ahead, thanks in part to Wendy's encouragement. I got to the end of the sleeve seam. I joined under the arms. I got to the bottom of the neck and joined in the round. (Yay!) Everything was going smoothly, I was knitting and getting into the groove. And then I decided to try her on.

100_0392 100_0393

Wowch. Excuse me, huge, baggy gappiness? Um, I don't remember inviting you. Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're not on the list.

I have to say, I don't really get it. My gauge is spot-on. I followed the pattern pretty precisely, even erring on the side of doing fewer increases and cutting back on the neck length slightly. And, when I did the math, based on my stitch count and gauge, my bust circumference should have meant that I was knitting with negative ease. So where is all this extra fabric coming from? I have read on other blogs that, for those of us with curvier figures, a bit of waist-shaping might be in order. That's an understatement. In the end, I decided to rip back to the end of the sleeve-seam rows, and start fitting in some decreases sooner, so that by the time we, um, get past the hump (Apologies, all around, for that one), I still look like I'm wearing a fitted sweater and not a potato sack. (Not that potato sacks don't have the potential to be totally hot.)




*"Oh pointy needles
Oh pointy, pointy
Annoint my head
Annointy, 'nointy."

If you can name the quote, get yourself a cookie.

8 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

I wouldn't be able to resist that gorgeous yarn either.

Amy

3:27 PM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Beautiful yarn! and is the quote from LA Story? "Oh pointy birds, oh pointy pointy"...

10:50 PM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger Christie said...

I love LA Story! It's one of my fave movies and I think of references all the time...since I live in LA and all. Set you mind free and your body will follow...

12:27 PM, February 17, 2006  
Anonymous Becky said...

Hey! I actually see that baggy gappiness as an excellent design element. Wear it over a lacey cami!

4:12 AM, February 18, 2006  
Anonymous Sandra said...

that shawl is going to be gorgeous. what pretty yarn!

10:21 PM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger Wendy said...

I'm thinking you'll still like it when it is done. When I see this, I feel awful and wonder why I wrote up a pattern!?

I guess that is why I'm always saying TRY IT ON.

That said, I still think you'll end up liking it. Just know, once you put on the neck, it will pull in substantially.

1:07 AM, February 25, 2006  
Blogger yahaira said...

love the shawl!

maybe the raglan length is too long, rip back some on the raglan increases and seperate the sleeves sooner. that and a little shaping should help

8:14 PM, March 03, 2006  
Blogger yahaira said...

oh and if the pattern has you casting on for the underarm....umm dont or at least do less

8:17 PM, March 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home