Sunday, February 5

Quickies

One great thing about winter knitting is that it is potentially very quick. Lightning quick. Hats, scarves, mittens...if you're not doing something too fancy or knitting them for your friend who suffers from gigantism (suffer being, of course, a relative term. I can imagine how much more colorful life could be with enormous extremities. I mean, I'm 6'1" and the only real "suffering" I've ever had to put up with involves pants that aren't long enough and schoolyard meanies whose cleverest taunt was "Jolly Green Giant." Ho, ho, ho.), they can be done in a snap.

Exhibit A: a lovely hat that was completed in about one hour. And then completely ripped out because it turned out too big and completed for real in a second hour.
100_0344
Pattern: this one (the knitted version)
Yarn: Less than one ball of Rowan Big Wool
Needles: I really have to keep better track of these things. US 15s or 17s?
The only pattern notes of note were that I added 2 sts to the cast-on number, and did fewer repeats before the decreases began. I used the flower pattern from that flowered headband in Stitch 'n Bitch Nation.


Exhibit B: These are some simple simple hand warmers from one of those Rowan Classic Books. (Most informative blogger in the world, right here, folks.)
100_0348
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Superchunky (I'll have words about this in a moment)
Pattern: As I said...
Needles: Addi US 11; this was my first magic-looping. I figured I'd give it a go. And I love it.
This pattern, as I mentioned, was quite simple. They practically knit themselves. I lengthened the 2x2 rib on the cuff, and I did more 2x2 rib at the top instead of the garter stitch band called for in the pattern.

Now, as for the yarn... (get ready for my stern voice) This yarn, though very soft and cushy, is the most disastrous fiber I've ever worked with. Who are you people who love Cashmerino in its many guises? How can you stand it? What am I missing? It started to pill and look worn and tired before I had even bound off. You can sort of see in the above picture how pathetic and decroded these things look (less than a month old!), but here are some close-ups.
Exhibit B 1.1 (the thumb join):
100_0349

Exhibit B 1.2:
100_0351
They're stll comfy and cozy, but I'll only wear them around the house or when I need the perfect accessory to pull together my latest Derelicte wannabe ensemble. And I'm no Derek Zoolander. I don't have the requisite looks to pull off Derelicte.


Exhibit C:
This is the scarf I made for my husband.
100_0365
Yarn: Morehouse Merino (dreamy to work with)
Pattern: Basically my own, but its just a 5-stitch basketweave.
100_0358
I think I cast on 3o sts and just knit and knit until it was taller than me (my guy like his scarves like he like his women).
Needles: Addi US 8
Totally quick and totally painless. Again, this scarf practically knit itself. I didn't really need to block it; I just washed it in some Kookaburra (my new favorite wool wash; take that Eucalan), where it did bleed a bit, and then I spread it out flat to dry. Oh, but in between, I did take advantage of my new favorite blocking maneuver:
100_0334
Yep, I salad-spun it. It's miraculous for wringing out all the excess water.

9 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

Both FO's look great! I've knit with Cashmerino a few times now, and haven't noticed a problem with pilling. Maybe I just got lucky.

Amy

2:48 PM, February 05, 2006  
Blogger Terby said...

They all look great, but I especially love the scarf. The pooling zigzag is very cool with the simple stitch pattern.

4:56 PM, February 05, 2006  
Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Oh so pretty, particularly hubby's scarf. I'm working with DB Cashmerino for the first time, and it's holding up a little better than yours did. Lucky me.

5:57 PM, February 05, 2006  
Blogger bamabess said...

I have made a sweater out of Cashmerino, and after ripping and starting over twice, it has started to show some wear. I can see that it will pill once I wash it, too. Not pleased that such expensive yarn behaves line such crap.

8:41 PM, February 05, 2006  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

Yummy scarf!

9:40 AM, February 06, 2006  
Anonymous Becky said...

Ahhh! I just love your blocking maneuver. Clever is your middle name :-)

P.S. You're really 6'1"? I'm sooooooooo jealous!!!

4:31 PM, February 06, 2006  
Blogger Alice said...

so many people say bad things about cashmerino, yet my casmerino's scarf's fine.

dunno what I'm doing to it, it gets worn lots and washed lots, etc. it's even got caught in velcro. maybe its because its seed stitch? I dont notice pilling so much...?

Or maybe I had some magic nice batch. don't think i'd risk using it again. plus its too expensive. Not a big DB fan genearlly.

1:02 PM, February 07, 2006  
Anonymous mia said...

On I'm totally down with the salad spinner, I think we even might have the exact same one. It works like a charm! I love that scarf, the basketweave looks great.

6:53 AM, February 08, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

you are brilliant finding yet another great use for the salad spinner!!!! i am doing a big load of felting soon and will DEFINITELY follow your lead - rockin!

9:48 PM, February 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home